Under direct supervision, assists in providing direct child care
services in a child care laboratory or child care center.
1. Provides education and care of young children.
2. Assists in planning, organizing, and implementing age appropriate
play activities designed to enhance the child's cognitive,
emotional, and social development and to increase the child's
awareness of his/her own personal health.
3. Observes children in play area to ensure their safety.
4. Assists in maintaining a safe, clean, and comfortable environment
5. Monitors child care supplies including toys, books, and
6. Trains and supervises volunteers.
7. Assists in collecting and maintaining data on children developmental progress.
8. Participates in staff meetings to discuss issues and problems
regarding the child care program.
9. Provides general clerical support such as answering phones,
greeting visitors, answering general inquiries, typing, scheduling
appointments, and mailings.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High-school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: One year experience in child care.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to
operate computers and other office equipment. Ability to care for and
play with children.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or examinations to determine ability to perform the job.
Applicants may be required to submit to and successfully pass a
background investigation. Some positions may require a certificate in
Early Childhood Development and current first aid and CPR certification.