Under direct supervision, performs a variety of manual labor
activities which may include linen service, stocking, janitorial,
maintenance, groundskeeping, mail handling, delivery, messenger,
moving and/or storage functions.
1. Cleans assigned areas by washing furnishings, tile, fixtures,
equipment windows, blinds, shades and floors. Dusts and polishes
specified areas and/or furnishings.
2. Collects and removes refuse and leaves.
3. Removes snow and ice from sidewalks, parking lots and entrances;
spreads salt, sand, deicers, or gravel to prevent slipping.
4. Mows lawns, trims hedges, trims, cultivates, weeds and prunes
plants, flowers, trees and shrubs.
5. Assists with the sorting, stocking and delivery of mail, messages,
packages and supplies.
6. Moves office furniture and equipment to designated locations.
7. Launders, sorts, and checks linens and clothing.
8. Cleans, lubricates, and adjusts equipment according to established
9. Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment to
facilitate assigned work.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Ability to read, write, and perform arithmetic calculations; to follow
oral and written instructions; to operate assigned hand and power
tools and equipment; to perform physical work requiring bending,
stooping, reaching, carrying, and frequent heavy lifting; to work in
adverse weather conditions; to wear and work in personal protective
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C driver's license may be required.
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.