Under direct supervision by a licensed dentist, performs chairside and
clinical functions related to patient dental care.
1. Performs rinsing and aspiration procedures.
2. Retracts oral tissues including lips, cheeks, tongue, and flaps.
3. Places and removes materials for the isolation of the dentition,
provided the material is not retained by the dentition.
4. Checks for loose bands.
5. Provides oral hygiene instruction to patients.
6. Performs intra-oral photography.
7. Exposes and processes dental radiographs.
8. Sterilizes and sharpens instruments. Prepares sterile trays.
9. Orders, receives, and maintains inventory of clinic supplies and
10. Cleans and maintains clinic equipment.
11. Maintains patient and clinic records.
12. Performs infection control procedures.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Completion of an approved dental assistant training
program or one year experience as a dental assistant.
General knowledge of the principles of dental assisting theory,
technique, and practice. General knowledge of procedures used in
sit-down four-handed dentistry. Ability to use dental instruments and
equipment. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Ability to follow written and oral instructions. Ability to
communicate effectively orally and in writing.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job.
Employees in this job class must maintain Certification as a Dental
Assistant by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners and must be
qualified by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners in Dental
Radiation Technology within the first twelve months of employment.
Employees in this job class must also be CPR certified within the
first twelve months of employment.