Under general supervision of a County Extension agent, meets with
individuals or small groups to teach them food related subjects such
as: how to make better nutrition choices, manage a food budget,
prepare food safely, and prenatal and infant nutrition.
1. Recruits and enrolls in the EFNEP program (Expanded Food and
Nutrition Education Program), a client base of limited income
adults, with emphasis on those with young children.
2. Conducts an initial assessment to identify food and nutrition
related needs of families and individuals.
3. Plans and teaches seven to twelve nutrition related lessons
through individual or group sessions.
4. Evaluates nutritional improvement of enrolled adults; monitors
their progress toward program completion.
5. Identifies potential youth participants from enrolled families and
neighborhoods to participate in special nutrition programs.
6. Identifies and recruits adults as potential program volunteers.
7. Refers clients to other health, food assistance, and social
8. Prepares written reports and maintains client records.
9. Attends regularly scheduled training programs.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's
Ability to learn and understand basic nutrition information. Ability
to effectively communicate orally with clients. Ability to establish
and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to interact with
the public in a courteous and efficient manner. Ability to lift and
transport supplies and equipment. Ability to maintain accurate client
and other records. Skill in performing arithmetic calculations.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees in this job class are required to use their personal
automobile while conducting official business.