Under direct supervision, receives, prepares, and assists in embalming
human cadavers for medical research and instruction.
1. Prepares embalming and preparation solutions.
2. Assists in preparation and embalming of human cadavers and
3. Ascertains anatomical value of materials received.
4. Records vital statistics information for Certificate of Death.
5. Maintains logs and files of cadavers and specimens received and
6. Answers routine questions regarding policies and procedures of
7. Performs routine blood pathogen screening.
8. Assists in the operation of the anatomical surgical study
9. Collects, maintains, stores, and distributes museum and
10. Prepares, classifies, and catalogs normal and abnormal
11. Maintains use of bio-hazardous laboratory areas.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Associate of Arts degree in Mortuary Science
EXPERIENCE: One year of directly related experience
Working knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
mortuary science and embalming. Working knowledge of applicable
medical terminology, gross anatomy, biology, pathology, and
pharmacology. Working knowledge of the policies and procedures
regarding the disposition of human remains. Ability to prepare
embalming and preparation solutions. Ability to communicate
effectively orally and in writing and to establish and maintain
effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the
public. Ability to function in an environment of human suffering and
death. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time, to lift,
position, and move cadavers weighing over 50 pounds.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examination to determine the ability to perform job.
Employees in this job class may be required to work with bio-hazardous
or radiolabeled materials and to successfully complete applicable