Under direct supervision, enforces parking ordinances in surface and garage lots
on institution premises. Patrols the campus to identify vehicles/scooters/bicycles
which are in violation of parking regulations; takes appropriate actions to include
issuing citations, or arranging for vehicles to be towed or relocated. Performs a
variety of clerical duties required to document and process enforcement actions.
1. Enforces campus parking regulations by patrolling metered, time-zoned, and/or
restricted parking areas with a motorized vehicle or on foot, and issues citations
or warnings to vehicles not conforming to established campus parking regulations;
Marks tires of vehicles in time-zoned areas, issues citations and/or arranges for
towing of vehicles for a variety of violations including blocked sidewalks, driveways,
loading zones, fire lanes and fire hydrants, double parking, and obstructing traffic;
Checks vehicle license plate numbers against outstanding parking citation lists.
2. Utilizes mobile data terminals, hand-held computers, and personal computers in issuing
citations, retrieves information, and downloads/uploads data. Runs reports to identify
paid/unpaid spaces in pay station controlled areas. Completes paperwork, records and
reports regarding citations issued, patrols activities. Documents parking violations
with photographic evidence when necessary.
3. Notifies proper authorities of serious parking violations, such as misuse of disabled
permit or use of a stolen or altered permit, vandalism crime, and or suspicious persons
in an expedient fashion and reports abandoned vehicles, through base operations, to
campus for removal.
4. Tags bicycles and scooters located in violation areas and communicates with towing
personnel for removal when necessary.
5. Maintains radio contact with the base office in order to respond to parking violation
complaints and report issues with traditional parking meters and digital pay stations.
Responds to and investigates complaints regarding parking violations and related
citations. Testifies in court regarding parking violation cases.
6. Provides assistance to citizens; and answers questions regarding parking ordinances and laws.
7. Assists with vehicle relocation, directing traffic and staffing parking areas for special events.
8. Prepares written incident reports of campus activities whenever warranted.
9. Assists in the training of new Parking Control Associates.
10. Performs minor vehicle maintenance checks including fluid levels and tire pressures,
mileage documentation and maintains in clean condition;
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Two years applicable experience.
Ability to learn and interpret campus parking regulations and established procedures;
ability to pass exam related to established regulations and procedures; to learn the
physical layout of the institution; to read, write and follow oral and written
instructions; to interact effectively with the general public; to perform assigned
duties under adverse weather conditions; to perform extensive standing, walking;
to communicate effectively; to operate two way radios, telephones, mobile data
terminals, hand-held computers, and personal computers.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required.
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical
examination to determine ability to perform the job.