Under general supervision, functions as a first level technician
performing a variety of library clerical and technical duties of
moderate complexity as appropriate to the diverse operations and
specialized procedures of the library unit where assigned. Leads and
1. Utilizes library software systems to retrieve and enter data.
2. Collects and prepares materials for binding, maintains binding
records, annotates unit shelflist and record of serial holding.
Processes binding transfers, withdrawals, title changes, claims,
requests for back issues and missing pages; etc.
3. Searches Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) and other
databases for cataloging copy, inputs bibliographic data,
original cataloging copy, and edited cataloging copy to OCLC and
library's automated online library systems.
4. Prepares purchase orders online for library materials, verifies
and corrects discrepancies, and monitors fund depletion.
5. Checks in books online and sorts incoming materials into
appropriate cataloging queues.
6. Charges and renews books and material loans for library users
using automated circulation system backup procedures as
7. Enters data such as fines and billing information into automated
system, and generates reports and notices.
8. Answers inquiries regarding basic circulation policies such as
loan periods, fines, recalls, claims, holds, shelving and
borrowing. Assists library users in accessing systems.
9. Monitors the physical processing of newly acquired materials such
as property stamping, security stripping, attaching call number
labels, barcoding, insertion of pockets, and adding due date
10. Sorts, packs and unpacks materials going to and returning from
commercial binders, verifying bindery shipping and receiving
11. Assembles and compiles a variety of information and data for
reports, studies and other purposes following prescribed methods.
Examines and verifies statistical and other reports for
completeness and accuracy of computations.
12. Participates as instructed in the training and supervision of
Library Assistants and students.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: One year of library or related clerical or public
Working knowledge of the nature and function of libraries; of library
services, practices and procedures. Skill in alphabetic and numeric
filing and using a personal computer and library software to input and
retrieve information. Ability to communicate effectively; to establish
and maintain effective working relationships with library users and
staff; to provide guidance and instruction to subordinate personnel;
to work independently and exercise initiative in applying rules,
procedures and instructions; to pack and unpack library materials.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT