Under general supervision, provides complex administrative support to an
individual, office, department or program. Work requires comprehensive
knowledge of the organization or program where assigned, skill in working
with issues related to policy, procedures, and confidential matters, and
involves considerable participation in the work of the supervisor.
Incumbents exercise discretion and judgment with considerable
consequence of error.
1. Edits, formats, and revises a variety of documents and materials created
by others. Proofreads for grammatical, typographical and basic content errors.
2. Converts rough copy and drafts to final version quality reports, presentations,
and documents. Includes incorporating edits from multiple reviewers, adding
graphics and effects to presentations, and applying campus style guidelines.
3. Drafts and signs routine correspondence and replies to inquiries which do
not require technical program knowledge.
4. Develops, implements, and maintains paper and electronic filing systems which
meet department needs and satisfy requirements for retention and information
security. Enters, updates, and retrieves information as needed. Creates
reports as needed.
5. Researches, analyzes, and summarizes information and source materials for
reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
6. Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and
prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally
and forwards remainder with necessary background material.
7. Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles
procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require
technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
8. Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently performs
required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
9. Assists in preparing and administering department budget by updating
accounts, and running periodic reports.
10. Acts as intermediary for supervisor, interacting with officials, staff
at all levels and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive
knowledge of institutional policies, procedures, and special departmental issues.
11. Anticipates supervisor's course of action when absent and facilitates problem
resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff
and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the supervisor.
12. May provide guidance and instruction to other office support staff.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years experience providing administrative support.
OTHER:Applicants may be required to complete the institution's required
skills assessment to be considered. Some positions require specific skills
such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, email or
calendaring software, and Internet proficiency.
General knowledge of and skill in the practical application of generally accepted
office practices and procedures. Ability to communicate effective both orally and
in writing. Ability to proofread and edit written documents. Skill in various
computer software packages, such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, and
presentation programs, Internet, email and calendaring software. Ability to
understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to interact
effectively with internal and external parties in a courteous and efficient
manner. Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and execute multiple and
continuing assignments with general instructions.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT