Under direct supervision, performs simple routine biological, chemical, or
physical tests according to standardized processes, and assist in performing
other laboratory activities and maintenance.
1. Performs simple routine procedures and simple synthesis, product isolation,
or biophysical procedures, such as DNA extractions.
2. Prepares simple chemical solutions, media, reagents, stains, and buffers.
3. Assists in collection, preparation, and processing of specimens or cell or
4. Performs general housekeeping of laboratory, and operation of laboratory equipment.
5. Assists with sterile procedures.
6. Maintains chemicals and equipment inventory.
7. Develops and prints film detailing biochemical or other analyses.
8. Assists in collection, recording, and entering research data.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Associates degree in a biological or chemical science.
General knowledge of the principles and practices of natural and/or chemical
sciences and safe and proper handling and disposal of applicable specimens,
materials and equipment. Ability to perform laboratory procedures using
applicable equipment and techniques; to communicate effectively both orally
and in writing; to use computers and related software applications; to lift,
transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods;
to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or
medical examinations to determine ability to perform job. Employees in this job
class may be required to work with biohazardous or radio-labeled materials and
to successfully complete applicable safety training.