Under general supervision, provides counseling services to clients of
an alcoholism or drug addiction program
1. Conducts initial intake and evaluation.
2. Identifies symptoms of the acutely ill alcoholic or drug addicted
client and responds to their needs by securing appropriate medical
3. Identifies family, employment, or other difficulties.
4. Participates in group and/or individual counseling of clients and
5. Makes referrals to other social service or health care agencies.
6. Participates in clinical data collection for research activities.
7. Develops and presents case histories.
8. Participates in training allied health students in addiction
counseling methods and techniques.
9. Assists in developing training and education seminars and
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Three years providing counseling services in a health care
or social work setting.
General knowledge of basic counseling; of the requirements for
confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients.
Skill in interviewing and counseling techniques. Ability to
communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to prepare clear
and concise records and reports; to make effective presentations; to
interact effectively with the public, health care providers, outside
agencies and other facilities; to comply with requirements for
confidentiality of client information.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.
Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and
random drug testing.