Under general supervision, works in a non-scientific laboratory environment to
prepare supplies, set up and manage equipment, manage inventory, assist with
demonstrations, and implement general safety practices.
1. Assists with writing and implementing safety practices and policies for
equipment and chemical handling
2. Assists in demonstrating laboratory procedures and conducts hands-on training
3. Assist in conducting research
4. Maintains records and prepares related reports
5. Operates specialized equipment, including cleaning, performing routine repairs,
preventive maintenance, adjustments, and quality control procedures
6. Prepares and maintains a variety of chemicals
7. Maintains and manages inventory, and orders supplies and other equipment
8. Uses a variety of hand tools and instruments
9. Incumbents may work with photographic equipment, ceramics, and/or glass materials.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Associates degree in related field.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of related experience.
General knowledge of laboratory practices, including safe and proper handling
and disposal of materials and equipment. Ability to perform laboratory
procedures using applicable equipment and techniques; communicate effectively
both orally and in writing; to use computers and related software applications;
to lift, transport, and deliver materials and stock supplies and goods; to wear
and work in personal protective equipment; to work in hazardous or irritating
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or
medical examinations to determine ability to perform job. Employees in this
job class may be required to successfully complete applicable safety training.