USM Career Opportunities
Information Systems (IS) Auditor/Information Technology (IT) Auditor (800132)
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
DEPARTMENT: The University System of Maryland Office (USMO)
STARTING SALARY: Salary commensurate with relevant experience
ADDITIONAL SALARY INFO: Excellent benefits.
The USMO-Office of Internal Audit is located in Columbia, MD. The Information Systems
Auditor position is responsible for performing information systems audit work throughout
the University System of Maryland including audits of complex computer applications and
technological solutions. Incumbents are expected to have information systems audit
experience and to demonstrate proficiency in performing information systems audit
work which conforms to professional standards. Work assigned to incumbents will
generally be well-defined and is expected to be carried out with limited supervision.
The complexity and size of audit assignments will vary significantly. Decisions
regarding the scope of work performed, nature of testing completed, and the reporting
disposition of results may be delegated to this position with oversight by the Assistant
Director - Information Systems Audit.
DUTIES: The Information Systems (IS) Auditor/Information Technology (IT) Auditor is expected to:
- Possess a working knowledge of regulatory obligations (FISMA, FERPA, HIPAA and GLB) as it relates to information systems.
- Possess experience performing assessment of the Information Security Controls in federal information systems and/or Higher Ed institutions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying information systems audit principles, skills and techniques in reviewing and testing computer applications and information systems technology of varying complexity utilized by the member institutions in USM.
- Execute the audit process on a wide variety of computing environments and computer applications and accurately interpret results against defined criteria and do so such that the work is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
- Apply internal control concepts in a wide variety of information technology processes and appropriately assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices.
- Consistently document relevant facts and information which support the work performed and conclusions drawn so other reviewers can follow the auditor's logic and methodology.
- Effectively evaluate audit results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy, and perspective of conclusions against the accumulated audit evidence.
- Be effective in communicating audit results, both verbally and in writing, so that they are persuasive, placed in the appropriate context, and understood by the recipient.
QUALIFICATIONS: The position requires:
- Bachelor's or Masters degree in Information Systems, Information Assurance or Accounting and Information Systems
- 4 to 6 years of information system audit experience
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
Critical thinking and analytical skills
Periodic in-state travel may be required. As an Exempt position, deadlines may require occasional extended hours to complete work assignments on time.
Preferred Skills, Abilities and Experience We would prefer that the incumbent have some or all of the following designations and skills:
- Have CISA, CISSP, or CIA certification
- Skills in using Microsoft windows based software
- Experience auditing Windows, Unix, Linux operating systems
- Experience auditing network and related security infrastructure
- Experience in the use of network vulnerability scanning tools
- Understand the design of network topology that reduce security risks in the network environment
- Experience auditing PeopleSoft Applications
- Experience auditing databases (MSSQL and ORACLE)
Reports To: Assistant Director - Information Systems Audit.
Salary will be commensurate with relevant experience. We offer an excellent benefits package.
TO APPLY: Open until filled. For best consideration send cover letter with resume, three employer references and salary history by October 31, 2014 to:
Information Systems (IS) Auditor/Information Technology (IT) Auditor 800132
University System of Maryland Office (USMO)
10630 Little Patuxent Parkway, #450
Columbia, MD 21044
Or via email to: email@example.com
The University System of Maryland is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability
unrelated to an individual's ability to perform the job, in accordance with applicable law.
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, applicants should be prepared to present acceptable
documentation showing their identities, their U.S. citizenship or alien status, and their
authorization to work in the United States.