Eligible Staff employees
- Nominee must be a Staff employee of the University System of Maryland community, including
all Staff employees on Regular and Contingent II status.
- Nominee must have been employed for at least five (5) consecutive years.
- Nomination must be made with the knowledge and consent of the nominee.
CEOs (Chancellor and Presidents) and Officers (Vice-Chancellors, Vice-Presidents, Provosts
and Deans performing an administrative function) are not eligible.
Note: Although commendable, length of service and performance of normal duties do not
weigh heavily in deliberations.
A nomination package should be generated for each individual that includes the following
documents, organized in the order listed:
1. Nomination Cover Sheet - a cover sheet must be completed and signed. Please do not change
the format of the cover sheet.
2. Nomination Letter - the letter shall state the category for which the staff employee is
being nominated and give testimony of exemplary performance in that category.
3. Position Description or position description from supervisor. Position descriptions
should include the purpose of the position and associated duties.
4. Letters of Recommendation - include three (3) one-page letters of recommendation that
discuss what makes this individual exceptional. Recommendations are welcomed from persons
external, as well as internal, to the institution and should include information on how to
contact the author. Letters must be in support of the candidate's activities as they relate
to the category for which he/she is being nominated. Printed emailed letters are acceptable.
5. Optional Supporting Materials -any additional materials (e.g., articles, awards, recognitions)
that the nominee may feel reflects accomplishments that are relevant to the award category, not
to exceed ten (10) pages.
Submission of Packages
Email one electronic (PDF preferred) copy of each nomination package to BORAwards_CUSS@usmd.edu.
Please mark the subject line as "BOR Award Nomination." Please limit the nomination packages to
the requested relevant materials. More is not necessarily better.
It is not the intention of the Board of Regents University System of Maryland Staff Awards
Review Committee to require excessive documentation. However, nominations must contain
sufficient material to acquaint the Awards Review Committee with the nature and quality
of the individual's achievements.
The CUSS BOR Staff Awards Review Committee will review nomination packages and submit
recommendations for awards to the Board of Regents in January 2013. Winners will be
announced in early summer with a formal presentation of the award recipients by the
Board of Regents in early Fall 2013.
Documents of Interest:
BOR Staff Awards Nomination Package 2014 - 2015 (pdf)