Under direct supervision, provides specialized husbandry for
laboratory animals requiring more advanced care.
1. Assists with the evaluation, maintenance, and monitoring of the
health of laboratory animals.
2. Assists with the breeding of animals or other types of activities
to maintain animal room stock and various crosses.
3. Provides husbandry support as required by standard operating
procedures such as ensuring appropriate feeding and watering of
animals, cleaning and changing cages, preparing special diets, and
maintaining proper temperature, light, and humidity levels.
4. Handles animal carcasses, tissues, and wastes following
established policies and procedures.
5. Maintains husbandry records pertaining to animal census, animal
breeding, dietary studies, infectious disease studies, etc.
6. Receives, inspects, and stocks supplies such as animal feed and
bedding. Assists in maintaining inventory.
7. Coordinates with general maintenance for repairs as well as
regulating lighting, ventilation, temperature, and humidity levels
of the animal room environment.
8. Maintains animal facility according to standard facility operating
9. Sterilizes glassware, syringes, instruments, and equipment.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Three months related experience in a laboratory animal
Working knowledge of and ability to handle laboratory animals.
Ability to operate standard laboratory animal equipment including
scales, autoclaves, pressure washers, cage washers, steam cleaners,
etc.; to lift bags of feed and bedding; to follow standard operating
procedures; to move heavy stainless steel racks, clean cages, etc.; to
wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.