Under general supervision, coordinates all of the activities relating
to various dental research projects and educational studies.
1. Coordinates project requirements relating to staffing, time,
space, equipment and supplies with appropriate school/campus
2. Compiles and updates statistics needed for the annual report and
3. Assists in developing, organizing and implementing policies and
4. Orients principal investigators and trains staff on clinic
procedures and equipment utilization.
5. Assists in completing research protocol.
6. Schedules patients for treatment and maintains recall schedule.
7. Compiles and maintains individual treatment charts.
8. Processes patient bills and invoices.
9. Ensures the upkeep of the clinics including all instruments and
10. Performs all of the duties of a Dental Assistant II as needed.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Four years dental assisting experience.
QUALIFICATION: Qualification by the Maryland State Board of Dental
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
faculty, students, staff and clients. Ability to communicate
effectively orally and in writing. General knowledge of and ability to
comply with confidentiality of records and communications regarding
patients/clients. Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
Ability to prepare reports and maintain records. Ability to use
computers and other standard office equipment. Skill in the use of
dental instruments and equipment. Thorough knowledge of the principles
of dental assisting theory, technique and practice. Skill in
procedures using sit-down four-handed dentistry techniques. Ability to
wear and work in personal protective equipment. Ability to follow oral
and written instructions.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees in this job class must be certified by the Dental Assisting
National Board within the first twelve months of employment and must
also become CPR certified within the first twelve months. Employees in
this job class must also meet and maintain the requirements for
current dental assisting as established by the Dental Assisting
National Board. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to
medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine ability to
perform the job.