260.0 VIII-2.50 - POLICY ON STUDENT TUITION, FEES, AND CHARGES
(Approved by the Board of Regents, June 21, 1990)
I. Tuition and Mandatory Fees
1. The Chancellor, following consultation with the
Presidents, shall propose guidelines for tuition and
mandatory fees to the Finance Committee for
recommendation to the Board of Regents.
2. As part of the formulation of the annual operating budget
request, each President shall recommend tuition and fees
within the guidelines established by the Board.
3. Tuition and mandatory fees shall be specifically
identified in the proposed consolidated operating budget
presented by the Chancellor to the Finance Committee.
After the Board approves the consolidated operating
budget request, tuition and mandatory fees may be altered
only by agreement of the Board.
4. Tuition and mandatory fees approved by the Board shall be
included in the detailed annual operating budget request
for the University of Maryland System submitted by the
Chancellor to the Governor and the Commission on Higher
5. Mandatory fees include fees and charges applicable to a
specific category of student according to enrollment
status during the standard academic year. They include
fees and charges for Health Services, Graduate Programs,
and Auxiliary Services such as Athletics, Shuttle Bus,
Student Union and Recreational, Student Activities,
Supporting Facilities, and Auxiliary Facilities.
II. Room and Board Charges.
1. Each President shall submit proposed annual room and
board charges to the Chancellor according to a timetable
and instructions recommended by the Chancellor and
established by the Board.
2. The Chancellor, following consultation with the
Presidents, shall present the proposed charges to the
Finance Committee for recommendation to the Board.
3. Room charges include room, dormitory, and apartment
charges for all university residence hall facilities
based on a standard academic year rate.
4. Board charges include charges based on a standard
academic year rate.
III. Other fees and charges.
1. Each President may establish fees and charges not
included in sections I and II, subject to the provisions
in the following paragraph.
2. The Chancellor may submit to the Finance Committee for
recommendation to the Board fees and charges that may
significantly affect student costs, that may be
considered for consistency among the institutions, or
that may substantially differ among the institutions.
Replacement for: BOR V - 9.00; BOR V - 14.00; BOT XII - C.