Under general supervision, performs journey level finishing/bindery
work. Leads and trains subordinate personnel.
1. Schedules and coordinates activities with press and composition
areas to ensure job specifications are met.
2. Provides guidance and instruction to others in finishing/bindery
machinery and equipment operation and production procedures.
3. Inspects printed materials for comparison to sample copy and
adherence to quality standards.
4. Performs a full range of finishing/bindery activities. Cuts stock
for press runs, folds, finishes, inserts, staples, trims and wraps
5. Monitors machinery and equipment functions and ensures operational
readiness and safety. Cleans, adjusts and makes minor repairs to
machinery and equipment.
6. Prepares and maintains production records.
7. Maintains inventory of supplies and paper stock.
8. Performs material handling activities such as moving supplies and
paper stock, loading and unloading books and printed materials and
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Four years experience in the finishing/bindery trade.
Thorough knowledge of paper stock and finishing and bindery
techniques. Skill in setting up, operating and maintaining finishing
and bindery equipment. Ability to plan a production schedule; to lead
and train others in finishing/bindery operations; to perform
mechanical repairs to finishing/bindery equipment; to communicate
orally and in writing; to follow oral and written instructions; to
establish and maintain effective work relationships; to lift,
transport, and stock related supplies, paper stock, and printed
materials; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.