Under general supervision collects, compiles, edits and analyzes data
according to standardized methods and procedures for statistical
studies and presents results for final interpretation by others.
1. Performs data analysis as directed.
2. Codes and edits data for statistical analysis.
3. Assists in the design and preparation of data collection
instruments; performs data collection through means such as file
or record review, medical chart abstraction, interview, or review
of surveys and reports.
4. Creates code books and writes data collection instructions.
5. Assists in the structuring of and maintains computerized databases
including the receipt, inventory, data entry, organization, and
quality control procedures of data collection instruments.
Identifies and resolves data entry reporting discrepancies.
6. Assists in formulating data searches and data exchanges among
micro-, mini- and mainframe-based computer applications.
7. Searches databases to generate standard and custom reports using a
variety of computerized statistical applications such as SAS and
SPSS-X, BMDP, Epi-Info or Systat; summarizes results.
8. Assists in the preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and
proposals by presenting statistical information in formats such as
tables, charts, or graphs.
9. May assist with conducting current literature searches and
reviews; classifies references by study design.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree in a related field.
EXPERIENCE: One year related experience.
Working knowledge of research methods and statistical techniques and
procedures. Skill in the use of computers and a variety of software
applications such as data bases, graphics, spreadsheets, and
statistical packages for data management and analysis purposes.
Ability to present statistical data in appropriate formats; to operate
standard office equipment; to communicate effectively both orally and
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT