Under general supervision of a Veterinarian, provides clinical care
and treatment for laboratory animals.
1. Assists with specialized veterinary procedures such as physical
examinations, treatments, surgery and radiology.
2. Assists in the administration of a health monitoring program
3. Ensures that all rooms are properly stocked with supplies, clean
and orderly. Coordinates scheduling for surgical areas.
4. Assists in ensuring that post-operative care is performed as
5. Performs technical services such as administering anesthesia,
euthanasia and breeding rabbits, rats etc.
6. Responsible for the initial receipt of animals, assessing their
health condition and ensuring that all are healty and have the
7. Orders supplies and completes necessary requisition forms for
technical service charges.
8. Maintains animal health records, requisitions, USDA receipts and
9. Assists in the training of animal care and research personnel in
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a two year American Veterinary Medical
Association (AVMA) Accredited Veterinary Technician program.
EXPERIENCE: One year working in a veterinary practice.
CERTIFICATION: State registered as a Veterinary Technician
General knowledge of the appropriate handling of all species of
laboratory animals. General knowledge of and ability to use
diagnostic, surgical, and standard laboratory equipment such as
radiology equipment, anesthesia machines, steam sterilizers,
endoscopes, ECG machines. Ability to follow standard operating
procedures; to wear and work in personal protective equipment; to
operate computers and other standard office equipment; to supervise
and train personnel; to communicate effectively both orally and in
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.
Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and
random drug testing.