Council of University System Faculty

General Body Meeting Minutes: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A.  Vice-Chairman Martha Siegel called the meeting of the Council of University System Faculty (CUSF) to order at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at the University System of Maryland Hagerstown Center (USMH). Those in attendance were (25):  Chairman Bill Chapin (UMES), Vice-Chairman Martha Siegel (TU), Secretary Joyce Shirazi (UMUC), At-Large Officers Joyce Tenney (UMBC) and Bill Stuart (UMCP), Past-Chairman John Collins (UMBI); other CUSF members Joan Langdon (BSU), Alcott Arthur (CU), Kim Rotruck (FSU), Mary Mumper (FSU), William Montgomery (UMCP), Patti Cossard (UMCP), Paul Flexner (SU), Dave Parker (SU), Thomas Krause (TU), Stephanie Gibson (UB), Lee Richardson (UB), Zane Berge (UMBC), Rosemary Jagus (UMBI), Keith Eshleman (UMCES), Emmanuel Onyeozili (UMES), Robert Johnson, Jr. (UMES), Deloris James (UMUC); Senior Vice Chancellor Irv Goldstein; USMH Executive Director David Warner.

B. Welcome from the University System of Maryland Hagerstown Center: Kim Rotruck welcomed CUSF to the University System of Maryland Hagerstown Center (USMH) and introduced Dr. David Warner, USMH Executive Director. Dr. Warner welcomed CUSF to USMH and thanked CUSF for helping with last year’s budget issues. In addition he noted that USMH has grown 13% in headcount and from 12 to 19 programs since the center opened in 1988.

C.  Approval of Minutes of the September Meeting: Joyce Tenney moved for approval of the September 19, 2008 CUSF meeting minutes; seconded by Bill Chapin; approved unanimously with corrections to the page 2 - items 6, 9 and 10.

D. Report from USM Senior Vice-Chancellor Irv Goldstein

1. Budget: The Board of Public Works, which consists of Governor Martin O'Malley, Treasurer Nancy Kopp and Comptroller Peter Franchot appeared to cut $250 million from the general fund for the entire State last week; $5 million from the USM operating budget, and $20 million from the fund balance. By Friday they raised it to $300 million, then another $5 million from USM. As noted in the President’s meeting, midyear tuition increases were ruled out by the Presidents. Furloughs are not on the table according to the Governor. We represent 22% of the discretionary budget of the State. Budget cuts include $8 million from private colleges and $16 million from community colleges. The Governor understands the importance of higher education. Our concerns are that we do not know if this will be our last cut for the year. Midyear cuts are much more difficult because of less flexibility available. We are nervous as to whether $300 million will work. The FY10 (next year) looks grim. Irv Goldstein noted that Bill Chapin did a great job at the Chancellor’s meeting because he noted that the students are here now, and therefore we need to protect our faculty and instructional budgets, financial aid, etc. Martha Siegel asked about the pressure of increasing enrollments and Irv Goldstein noted that if we do not increase funding, USM will not add pressure to increase enrollments and it may be tempered down dramatically; SU said they cannot grow without funding. Stephanie Gibson added that UB is growing to 8,000 from 5,000 students, and wanted to know how the furlough decision is made and who makes it. Irv Goldstein noted that it would come from the State and it would be statewide. The State would mandate it and give each institution a target. Governor O’Malley rejected furloughs. Regarding the capital budget, there is not much discussion. If the slots bill fails, some of that is targeted towards the capital budget. Therefore, we do not know.

2. DeVry University (for profit): They went to Maryland Higher Education Secretary (MHEC) with programs. Morgan State University objected to some programs and they were removed. UB, Bowie State, CU, UMUC also argued against certain programs at DeVry University, however MHEC rejected our appeal. Chancellor Brit Kirwan therefore wrote a letter to MHEC, and they postponed consideration of these courses at their last scheduled meeting. USM spoke to MHEC Secretary Dr. James Lyons, Sr. and asked how an out-of-state institution can come in and not follow regulations. Now Maryland Independent College and University Association (MICUA) President, Ms. Tina M. Bjarekull, Chancellor Kirwan and Secretary Lyons will meet to discuss this. Deloris James noted that it did not come up at the MHEC-FAC meeting. Kim Rotruck added that we are objecting to the Nursing programs for example, but not Aromatherapy. Bill Stuart asked about the quality of the studies. Irv Goldstein noted that they are not regionally accredited, they operate in 20 states, and they say that they serve the adult evening students and that we do not, which of course is not true. They also have some online programs. It is a broader issue for us than just DeVry University.

3. Entrance Requirements: USM entrance requirements will be reviewed.

Remedial programs and other programs will be scrutinized to decide if we want to change entrance requirements. The Provosts, faculty, Student Affairs, and MHEC will be involved in this in the spring

4. Benefits: The Presidents are taking a look at the Optional Retirement Program (ORP), etc. We are at least 1 to 2% below where we should be. A change of 1-2% is about a $12 million bill, but we cannot bring it forward for this year. The Domestic Partner Bill for same sex partners is rolling along. It scheduled to be included in the new health benefits package.

5. Textbooks: PJ Hogan and USM Student Regent Josh Michael are arranging a major meeting in November to discuss textbook affordability, which will have student representation, federal representatives, faculty, writers, and publishers. Irv Goldstein will let us know before it firms up and we can put together representation at the conference.

6. NSF grant: We won a $12.4 million NSF grant that includes BSU, UMCP, and UMBI in collaboration with Prince Georges’ Community College (PGCC) and Prince Georges County to encourage the teaching of science and math education in Prince George's County public schools, and to encourage minority students to become involved in science and math programs. STEM teachers in Prince Georges’ County schools will receive summer professional development and follow-up programs during the school year. The program for teachers will focus on helping teachers broaden their knowledge base of STEM. The program will also recruit college students, particularly minority students, at the UMCP and BSU to commit to time in a STEM class in a Prince Georges’ County school, and to encourage them to consider becoming STEM teachers. High school students will receive a stipend for their participation in summer STEM experiences at the USM campuses. They are all excited about it.

7. Other: Kim Rotruck asked about Vinayaka Missions University (VMAU) in Hagerstown. Irv Goldstein noted the first we heard of it is when they purchased property in Hagerstown. Their primary site is in India. They have poured $10’s of millions of dollars into this. They are especially interested in medical education and hospitals. However, as of now they have not applied to MHEC for any program approvals. Also, he noted that DeVry University has a representative on the MHEC State Planning Committee. We must wait to see what happens.

E. Chair’s Report from the Presidents’ Meeting: Bill Chapin presented the highlights from the meeting.

1. Budgetary Issues: The Digital Library was presented as an E&E item. The good news is about Domestic Partners Benefits, as Irv Goldstein previously noted.

2. Bohanan Commission: The purpose of the Bohanan Commission to Develop the Maryland Model for Funding Higher Education was a paradigm for funding. USM Regent Norman R. Augustine is working to determine our appropriate shares. A lot has depended on our peer institutions. It is not easy to explain to legislators. We should be picking peers in MD, perhaps. Regent Augustine wants to change to the competitiveness model. By looking at States that compete with us via high-technology, it is easy to show the legislators that our funding is down compared to them. We do not want to say that we want to be at least at the 50th percentile. Many items will come out eventually, such as carrying it to the campus level, high research versus Masters Level, being based on student population, etc. This will come out eventually. It may be that it will change. It is all a part of the Bohanan Commission.

F. Chair’s Report from the Board of Regents’ Meeting: Bill Chapin presented the highlights from the meeting.

1. Several years ago E&E instituted a report for each institution. CUSF requested that faculty salary or compensation as a variable be added to the Dashboard Indicators, where red is off target, yellow is neutral, and green is above target. The Dashboard Indicators are listed at the USM website . USM gets the information from the campuses and posts the information at the USM website. Patti Cossard requested that librarians be included and Bill Chapin noted that he will check into this with Irv Goldstein at the next Board of Regents meeting.

2. Bill Chapin announced that there is longitudinal tracking of students from P-20, but there are computer program problems because the ID tracking is done by an outside contractor, which must be added to the transcripts, and we do not want to pay outside contractors. Martha Siegel noted that back under Chancellor Donald N. Langenberg we voted against tracking of students. Bill Stuart noted that there is also a problem with tracking teachers. If they are out of the system and later return it causes them to get lost. Zane Berge asked about the purpose of tracking items such as high schools, SAT scores, colleges, and graduation time. Bill Chapin noted that tracking is done at secondary schools, yet the gap between the 12th and 13th grades is the hurdle. They probably want the data to assign blame. Certain high schools students do not do very well at certain colleges.

3. The BOR meeting will be on Friday. Bill Chapin stated that the last budget cuts in the 1990’s cut USM Adelphi severely. He stated that his personal view is that they should not do that again. Fairly senior people were removed and really left gaps. Martha Siegel asked that we have an unofficial “straw vote” in support of Bill Chapin and his thoughts regarding USM Adelphi. All CUSF members voted in support of Bill Chapin regarding USM Adelphi.

G. Vice-Chair’s Report from the AAAC Meeting: Martha Siegel presented the highlights from the meeting.

1. There are two presidential task forces. The Research Competitiveness and Economic Development Task Force is chaired by UMCP President Dan Mote and will focus on R&D and economic development, with special attention given to technology transfer and innovation. The STEM Workforce Task Force is chaired by TU President Robert Caret and will focus on workforce issues, with special attention to teachers. There is no faculty representation on these task forces. Bill Chapin noted that we need to push quickly. Stephanie Gibson suggested that we talk to the convener and say that we want someone from CUSF added and she asked to make a motion. Bill Chapin said that the research task force is for internationally renowned research. Martha Siegel said that she will talk to her president, Dr. Robert Caret and Bill Stuart will approach his president, Dr. Dan Mote about being added. Bill Stuart noted that he is interested in participating on the STEM task force.

2. The Provosts Meeting also covered cultural diversity, which Patti Cossard will address. UMCP Professors Sandra Greer, Robert Dooling and Arthur Popper (CUSF) won a large NSF grant to support the expansion of a program that will develop a series of ethics courses and workshops on research ethics. Perhaps CUSF could help disseminate this information.

3. Additional information is required regarding the rulemaking for the Higher Education Reauthorization Act. Teacher education is included.

4. All USM universities except the research campuses have an achievement gap plan. Martha Siegel noted that if the plans will be reviewed and updated, faculty need to be involved since faculty were generally not involved in drafting the original plans.

5. We are having problems distributing the Regents’ Faculty Award material. The Faculty Senate Chairs should have it by now. Martha Siegel will send them a reminder. We will try to keep the awards files at USM, even if they do not win, for the next year. William Montgomery suggested that perhaps we need to streamline the process. The Regents’ Faculty Award Committee consists of Joyce Shirazi, Rosemary Jagus, Lee Richardson or Gerry Wojnar, and Joyce Tenney. At this point we need to wait on USM to finalize the submitted applications. We need to remind USM Adelphi that we want the files posted on a secure website. Joyce Tenney will talk to USM about that.

H. Other Committee Reports:

Legislative Affairs: Patti Cossard provided a briefing on the SB 438 - Institutions of Higher Education - Plans for Programs of Cultural Diversity Resolution.

1. The motion by Patti Cossard for the resolution as read was seconded by Bill Chapin.

2. Discussion: Bill Chapin noted that it would be better if faculty are involved directly. Stephanie Gibson added that we should not have to make this motion. The resolution should say that we “expect” this to happen. More discussion included whether we should say just “faculty” Patti Cossard commented that this is why she wrote “shared governance”, because it includes all. She added that “recommendation” means it is continuous, whereas “expects” is not continuous, because it stops. Stephanie Gibson suggested that maybe we want to say that there has been “less and less” faculty participation in things that involve faculty. Alcott Arthur suggested “CUSF recommends as well as expects”. Other discussion included a question posed by Kim Rotruck regarding whether there really is a pattern, and suggested on “some campuses”.

3. There were no further questions and the resolution was unanimously approved with amendments. The resolution as approved is shown in Appendix I. Patti Cossard will send a copy of the resolution to the CUSF Chair and Secretary for distribution.

4. Patti Cossard will work with Andy Clarke and PJ Hogan of USM on other legislative issues.

I. Lunch and Committee Meetings

J. Committee Reports (continued):

Report Ed Policy and P-20: The Education Committee includes

Bill Stuart, Martha Siegel, and Kim Rotruck and they noted issues such as diversity and strategic planning committees. The Education Committee Report is shown in Appendix II.

Faculty Affairs: Paul Flexner noted that we need to work on retiree health benefits for spouses, collective bargaining by AAUP, and voting on collective bargaining. He added that collective bargaining should not mean the end of shared governance, which has happened on some campuses. Joyce Shirazi will send information to Paul Flexner on the upcoming AAUP meeting and the request from AAUP member Art Husseonia for CUSF participation.

MHEC Faculty Council: Patti Cossard noted that MHEC is redoing their staff plan and two members of CUSF are involved. It will keep the same goals however. Goal #4 is what Patti Cossard is working on, which includes high school graduation to the 1st year in college, etc. Deloris James is working on the diversity section of the MHEC project.

Membership and Rules: Arthur Alcott discussed the consistency of CUSF bylaws and the constitution. The committee will also look at the standing committees, ex officio officers, and past chairs, etc.

Newsletter: Deloris James noted that Bill Chapin and Paul Flexner are also on the committee. They discussed the newsletter and they are trying to draft John Collins as the editor. Martha Siegel said that it would be nice to get one out before Thanksgiving. John Collins feels that it will be easier to do this time due to the work that Deloris James did.

Student Research Day: Martha Siegel noted that Student Research Day (SRD) started about 5 years ago with the goal to showcase USM undergraduate research for a day in Annapolis, with posters. The Provosts were involved, as well. Last year we did it with Annapolis 101, but it was not better for us. Legislators drive the Annapolis 101 which is why it is so successful. This academic year Annapolis 101 is in February. Patti Cossard did not feel that Annapolis 101 or SRD was successful last year. She noted that there were few legislators, but the Chancellor and a Regent came by. Martha Siegel created SRD and she said she thought it was a good ides, initially. Bill Chapin said that since it takes so much effort, perhaps we do not want to do it again this year. Kim Rotruck suggested that we suspend it this year until we get legislative support. Martha Siegel added that she would be happy to suspend it for a year, and to ask Senator Jim Rosapepe and others to add their names to it next time. All CUSF members voted in favor of suspension of SRD to improve it.

K. The meeting adjourned at 1:55 p.m.



SB 438 - Institutions of Higher Education

Plans for Programs of Cultural Diversity


Motion concerning compliance with SB 438

Whereas, the University System of Maryland is guided by a policy of shared governance;

And whereas, the Council of University System Faculty (CUSF) is the representative body of the faculties of the thirteen constituent campuses;

And whereas, faculty will inevitably be involved in developing, executing, and reporting compliance to legislative and system mandates related to higher education;

And whereas SB438 was signed into law by Governor O’Malley on May 22, 2008;

And whereas, this law requires that all Maryland campuses conform and comply with this legislation;

Therefore, CUSF reminds the Chancellor and Board of Regents that in accordance with the BOR I-6.00 Policy on Shared Governance, we, the faculty, and where appropriate staff and students, on each campus should take part in determining the response of their individual campuses to compliance and reporting that compliance to legislative and system mandates related to higher education such as SB 438.

CUSF passed on 10/15/08


Report From Education Affairs Committee

15 Oct 2008

TO: CUSF membership

FROM: Bill Stuart, chair, Ed Affairs Comm

SUBJECT: report from Educational Affairs Committee

(i) Members of Educational Affairs Committee: Bill Stuart (UMCP), Chair; Martha Siegel (TU); Kim Rotruck (FSU); Bill Montgomery (UMCP) [NB: Bill Rivera has resigned as UMCP rep to CUSF; but I am hopeful that he will continue to serve on this committee.

(ii) Among the most important activities of our committee so far has been Stuart’s attending the B of R’s Ed Policy Committee meeting at UB-Law School. The only matter of special note is the report of UMCP’s Provost who presented UMCP’s new Strategic Plan.

(iii) The Governor’s P-20 working (sub) committees have not yet met this year. When they do, Stuart will attend and report back to CUSF.