Under direct supervision, performs non-complex, repetitive technical
tasks in support of laboratory and field work in the physical
1. Collects air, water, soil, grass, gas, and dust samples and other
media for testing. Prepares solvents and culture media for use.
2. Cleans, sterilizes and reassembles and makes lab apparatus ready
3. Assists in maintenance, troubleshooting and repairing laboratory
equipment and apparatus.
4. Conducts inventory of lab supplies and equipment. Makes
recommendations to supervisor regarding quantity of supplies to be
5. Operates non-complex laboratory equipment such as vohmeters and
6. Reports any equipment malfunctions to the supervisor.
7. Transfers any equipment between various locations.
8. Constructs various supports for equipment and apparatus to be used
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Two years in technical work in physical science or allied
Working knowledge of general purpose laboratory equipment according to
standard safety practices; of applied arithmetic. Skill in the use of
related hand and power tools. Ability work in, on, around, over and
under fixed equipment and machinery; to manipulate heavy equipment,
tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 50 lbs.; to concurrently
manipulate multiple controls on equipment and machinery; to work in
hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces and adverse
weather or temperature conditions; to follow oral and written
instructions and to communicate effectively.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries
and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.
Valid Maryland Non-commerical Class C or equivalent driver's license
may be required.