Under general supervision, performs assigned tasks within one or more library
functional areas, such as user access services, collections and content management,
research support, user education, digital initiatives, or other services and operations.
Provides high quality customer service, communicates the library's mission and monitors
and provides guidance on adherence to library procedures and policies.
1. Provides guidance and instruction to library support staff. May lead/oversee
Library support staff, projects or assigned areas of library operations.
2. Assists customers to define their information needs, and select and evaluate the
most appropriate information resources to meet those needs. Provides customers
with information and guidance in finding and retrieving library information
resources. Assists customers with complaint resolution or escalates to others as
3. Educates and guides face-to-face and remote customers with varying levels of
proficiency to use technologies, tools, and strategies to create, seek, use, or
manage information or to share metadata, digitized, or born-digital multimedia
content and other scholarly resources.
4. Responds to customer information needs using online systems and information seeking
skills to locate library information resources. Searches and retrieves materials.
5. Monitors for copyright infringement and other laws, policies and practices
governing access, use, and sharing of information resources.
6. Applies basic principles and practices regarding preservation of library
information resources in various formats.
7. Provides input, when appropriate, regarding selection, retention, maintenance, and
evaluation of all types of library information resources.
8. Performs quality control and assists with planning, preparing, creating and
maintaining local library information resources.
9. Assists with the maintenance of information discovery tools, guides, and other
library information resources.
10. Identifies and resolves problems related to access and use of library information
resources and services.
11. Collects, reports and assists with analyzing data on collections, usage, service
transactions, and customer needs. Generates specialized reports and notices.
12. Identifies, acquires, and prepares new library information resources for use.
Monitors and ensures quality control in processing new library information
13. Sorts and shelves materials, prepares materials for commercial binding, and routine
identification and replacement of lost materials.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a
representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of
this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific
duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree
EXPERIENCE: One year of experience directly related to the primary
duties of the position.
General knowledge and understanding of the nature and function of
libraries; of library services, standards and procedures; of
bibliographic records, publishing and publication formats, and library
information storage and retrieval systems. Skill in alphabetic and
numeric filing; in using a computer terminal to input and retrieve
information; in interpreting and applying library policies and
procedures; and in analyzing problems of a moderately complex nature.
Ability to communicate effectively; to establish and maintain
effective working relationships with library users and staff; to
provide guidance and instruction to subordinate personnel; to work
independently; and to exercise initiative in interpreting and applying
rules, procedures, and instructions.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional
related experience and formal education in which one has gained the
knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the
work of the job class may be substituted for the education or
experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college
credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT