USM Chancellor Caret Appoints University of Maryland Eastern Shore Presidential Search Committee
Adelphi, MD (March 22, 2018) -- Robert L. Caret, chancellor of the University System of Maryland (USM), today appointed the search and screening committee for the new president of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES). Current UMES President Juliette Bell announced in February that she will step down on June 30, 2018. Bell was selected for the position in March 2012 and is the fourth woman to serve as UMES president.
“The task of finding and hiring unique presidents for USM’s institutions always will be one of the most important duties our Board of Regents can fulfill,” Caret said. “I met recently with members of the broader UMES community, and appreciate the feedback from an extended visit to campus that helped to inform decisions on selecting this search committee.”
The chair of the search committee is Michelle Gourdine, M.D., a clinical assistant professor at the University School of Medicine and a graduate of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
The other members of the committee, which includes representatives from UMES faculty, staff, students, and alumni, and from the greater community, are (alphabetically):
- Michelle Gourdine, M.D., Chair, Regent, University System of Maryland
- John Allen, Chair, UMES Board of Visitors
- Rondall Allen, Dean, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions
- Charles Grattan Baldwin, Assistant Professor, Director of Master of Arts in Teaching Program
- Kate Brown, Interim Dean, School of Business and Technology
- Antoinette Coleman, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs, University System of Maryland
- Owanaemi Davies, President, Student Government Association
- Veronique Diriker, Director of Development; Senate Chair UMES
- Enrique Nelson Escobar, Assistant Professor and Small Ruminant Extension Specialist, Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Resource Sciences
- Lakeisha Harris, Interim Dean; Faculty Assembly Chair, School of Graduate Studies, UMES
- Deborah Hayman, President, UMES National Alumni Association
- Eric Hilton, Director, Office of Admissions & Recruitment
- Zoe Johnson, President, Graduate Student Government
- Bonnie Luna, UMES Board of Visitors, Salisbury, MD
- William Roberts, President, W.R. Roberts Company
On Feb. 26, Caret met with a number of groups across the UMES community, including senior leadership and deans; faculty; staff members; student leaders; external community members; members of the UMES board of visitors; and the alumni association.
The committee will work with the firm Academic Search, based in Washington, D.C.
The committee's work will conclude with its recommendation of finalists for consideration by the chancellor and the Board of Regents. The board will make the final selection. Typically, the search process for the hiring of a USM campus president takes five-to-six months to complete.
Contact: Mike Lurie