USM Chancellor Caret Appoints Presidential Search Committee for University of Maryland, College Park
Baltimore, MD (April 24, 2019) -- Robert L. Caret, chancellor of the University System of Maryland (USM), today appointed the search and screening committee for the new president of the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP). Current UMCP President Wallace Loh will continue to lead the university through his retirement date of June 30, 2020.
“The task of finding and hiring unique presidents for USM’s institutions always will be one of the most important duties our Board of Regents can fulfill,” Caret said. “In recent weeks, I’ve met with members of the broader UMCP community and received substantial feedback to help inform the choices made for this important search committee for the system’s flagship campus.”
The search committee will meet with stakeholder groups on the UMCP campus and host a town hall on May 8.
The members of the committee, which includes representatives from UMCP faculty, staff, students, and alumni, and from the greater community, are (alphabetically):
- Ritu Agarwal, Distinguished Professor and Chair, Information Systems, UMCP
- Wanda Alexander, Immediate Past President, UMCP Alumni Board of Governors
- Gary L. Attman, Regent, University System of Maryland (Chair)
- Gregory Ball, Professor and Dean, UMCP (Vice-Chair)
- Sharon Fries-Britt, Professor, Higher Education, UMCP
- Kayla Burch, Undergraduate Student, UMCP
- Debrabata Biswas, Associate Professor, Animal and Avian Sciences, UMCP
- Otto Fandino, Director of Administration, Aerospace Engineering, UMCP
- John Fourkas, Professor and Associate Chair, Chemistry and Biochemistry, UMCP
- Geoff Gonella, Chair, UMCP Foundation
- Andrea Goodwin, Director, Office of Student Conduct & Interim Co-Director, Student Affairs, UMCP
- Barry Gossett, Regent, USM Board of Regents
- William “Brit” Kirwan, USM Chancellor Emeritus and Professor Emeritus, UMCP
- Leonard Raley, USM Vice Chancellor for Advancement and President, USM Foundation (Staff)
- Annie Rappeport, Graduate Student, UMCP
- Justin Ross, Member, UMCP Alumni Association Board of Governors
- Stephen Thomas, Professor, Health Services Administration, UMCP
- Gary Williams, Former Head Men’s Basketball Coach, UMCP
- Janelle Wong, Professor, American Studies, UMCP
- Laura Anderson Wright, Associate General Counsel, UMCP
The committee will work with the leadership recruiting firm Isaacson, Miller, a Boston-headquartered firm with an office in Washington, D.C.
The committee's work will conclude with its recommendation of finalists for consideration by the chancellor and the Board of Regents. The board will make the final selection. Given the complexity and breadth of the UMCP campus and its growth under President Loh’s leadership, the committee has allowed a full 12 months to conduct its search.
Contact: Mike Lurie