USM Chancellor Perman Appoints Presidential Search Committee for University of Maryland, Baltimore
Baltimore, MD (May 12, 2020) – Jay A. Perman, MD, chancellor of the University System of Maryland (USM), today appointed the search and screening committee for the new president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
Interim UMB President Bruce Jarrell, MD, FACS, has been leading UMB since Jan. 6, 2020. On that date, Chancellor Perman began his service as USM chancellor after 10 years as UMB president.
“Given the need for stable leadership during this period of unprecedented uncertainty, the University System is initiating an expedited search, and we expect to make an announcement by the beginning of the fall semester,” Perman said.
“I thank UMB Interim President Bruce Jarrell for ensuring UMB’s abiding excellence, and I look forward to the important work ahead,” Perman said.
The members of the committee are:
The committee will work with the leadership recruiting firm Isaacson, Miller, a Boston-headquartered firm with an office in Washington, D.C.
- William Wood, search committee chair—regent, University System of Maryland
- Barry Gossett—regent, University System of Maryland
- Michelle Gourdine—regent, University System of Maryland
- Robert Rauch—regent, University System of Maryland
- Natalie Eddington—dean, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
- Jane Kirschling—dean, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- Robert Ernst—professor and vice chair, Department of Microbial Pathogenesis, University of Maryland School of Dentistry
- Megan Meyer—associate professor, University of Maryland School of Social Work
- Donna Parker—associate professor and senior associate dean for undergraduate medical education, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Virginia Rowthorn—executive director, UMB Center for Global Education Initiatives, and senior lecturer, Law and Health Care Program, University of Maryland Carey School of Law
- Nivedita Hegdekar—president, UMB University Student Government Association
- Kristy Novak—president, UMB Staff Senate
- Joshua Abzug—president, UMB Faculty Senate
- Luke Cooper—board member, UMB Foundation
- Mohan Suntha—president and CEO, University of Maryland Medical System
- Joann Boughman—senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, University System of Maryland
“I believe it’s vital that UMB has a permanent leader installed as quickly as is possible,” Perman said. “The university has been pivotal to the state’s and the nation’s COVID-19 response, and the University System is reliant upon UMB’s deep expertise and international renown. Stability will only help UMB continue its indispensable leadership and service.”
UMB town halls—held virtually until social distancing restrictions ease—will help the firm narrow its search. The committee's work will conclude with its recommendation of finalists for consideration by the chancellor and the Board of Regents. The board will make the final selection.
Contact: Mike Lurie