Regents to Consider 2007 Room and Board Charges, Enrollment Projections, New Academic Proposals; Board Also to Present 2006 Faculty Awards
Adelphi, MD (April 4, 2006) -Proposals for fiscal year 2007 dormitory and other self-support charges and fees, and for six new academic programs are on the agenda of the University System of Maryland (USM) Board of Regents' next meeting. The board will convene at 9 am Friday, April 7, at the University of Baltimore (UB). The meeting will be in the 5th floor multi-purpose room of the new Student Center, located at the corner of Maryland Avenue and W. Mount Royal Avenue. Parking will be in the Maryland Avenue garage.
The proposed changes in the dormitory charge range from no increase at Bowie State University (BSU) to an 8 percent increase at Towson University (TU). There is also no proposed increase in board charges at BSU for FY 2007; the proposed board changes elsewhere range from a 2 percent increase at TU to an increase of 4.5 percent at Frostburg State University (FSU).
In addition, the board is expected to vote on USM enrollment projections for FY 2006-2015. Overall projected headcount growth for the 10-year period is 39 percent, from 128,305 students to 177,684. Undergraduate enrollment is projected to grow 35 percent, from 92,870 to 125,398; graduate enrollment is projected to increase by 48 percent, from 35,435 to 52,286.
In other business, the board will vote on six new academic programs: a bachelor's in allied health sciences at Coppin State University; bachelor's in investigative forensics at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC); master's in geographic information systems in public administration at Salisbury University (SU); bachelor's in real estate and economic development at the University of Baltimore (UB); master's in conflict analysis and dispute resolution at SU; bachelor's in political science at UMUC.
The board also will present its 2006 Regents' Faculty Awards for Excellence. The award is the highest honor bestowed by the regents to honor exemplary faculty achievement. This year's recipients are:
- Jose Felipe Anderson, UB, for Mentoring;
- Jillian Schwedler, University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP), for Mentoring;
- Eugene Williams, SU, for Mentoring;
- Bruce Jarrell, University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Julie Ross, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), Taryn Bayles, UMBC, for Collaboration in Public Service;
- Marie Cavallaro, SU, for Public Service;
- Lenneal Henderson, UB, for Public Service;
- Shibley Telhami, UMCP, for Public Service;
- Gail Gasparich, TU, for Teaching;
- Jonathan Kays, UMCP Cooperative Extension, for Teaching;
- Jerome Miller, SU, for Teaching;
- Angela Brodie, UMB, for Research/Scholarship/Creative Activity;
- Patricia Glibert, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, for Research/Scholarship/Creative Activity;
- Robert Lande, UB, for Research/Scholarship/Creative Activity.
Access the full agenda for the board meeting at: http://newweb.usmd.edu/regents/agendas/. Full agendas and background information will be available at the meeting. Sign language interpreters and/or other appropriate accommodations for eligible individuals with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please call 301.445.2756 (voice) or 301.314.7683 (TTY/ITT) to make special arrangements.
Contact: Liz O'Neill