(Approved by the Board of Regents, February 28, 1992)
  The University of Maryland System's travel policies are intended to
  facilitate travel and travel arrangements; to provide full
  reimbursement for all necessary expenses; and to protect travelers
  against the risk of loss, while simultaneously maintaining the
  necessary controls for accountability.
     All travel is to be documented.  Pre-approval is required for
     out-of-state travel.  Required approvals may vary according to
     the travel destination and sources of funds as determined by
     each institution.  For purposes of clarity, University System
     business conducted in the "Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area"
     is classified as in-state travel.
     Travelers and travel arrangers should ensure that all
     arrangements are reasonable and appropriate and be alert to
     possibilities to obtain air, hotel and rental car services at
     the discount rates available to the University System or
     institution.  Travelers are expected to make advance bookings,
     using the least expensive logical fare via the most direct route
     (or other reasonable routing that results in a lower fare) and
     are encouraged to purchase air and rail tickets and reserve in-
     trip services through the contract travel service vendors
     identified by each institution.  Travelers should consult
     institution procedures governing non-contract travel purchases
     in advance of committing personal funds to determine if they
     will be reimbursable.
     In the event of changed plans, cancellation and other penalties
     will be paid by the institution provided that the cancellation
     or change was made for the convenience of the institution or was
     necessitated by circumstances of an emergency nature affecting
     the traveler, in accordance with policies or procedures
     established by the institution.
     The cost of hotel accommodations will be reimbursed on the basis
     of receipts.  Any overage above the single room rate, which is
     a result of non-official travelers utilizing the accommodations,
     will be the personal financial responsibility of the traveler.
     Institutions are responsible for procedures to establish that
     the room rate reimbursed is appropriate.
     For domestic travel, meal expenses will normally be reimbursed
     on per diem rates for Standard and High-cost areas as those
     rates are established in Attachment VIII-11.10 to this policy.
     The Chancellor will identify the locations designated as high
     cost and this information will be included in Attachment VIII-11.10.  
     Foreign travel is reimbursed at actual cost with receipts or at the applicable U.S. 
     Department of State meal and incidental (M&IE) rate without receipts.  
     The Board of Regents will review the rates biennially.
     Travelers are not required to provide individual meal receipts
     or to show a per meal breakdown for daily travel using the
     Standard and High-cost rates for domestic travel or the U.S.
     Department of State M&IE rate.  A partial day's travel is
     eligible for the appropriate meal(s) consumed when travel time
     encompasses a period of two hours before and two hours after
     that (those) meal(s).  Institutions have the authority to
     determine which circumstances may warrant a higher level of
     reimbursement and the procedure for approval.  Such transactions
     must be accompanied by receipts.
     Reimbursement of miscellaneous expenses such as telephone calls,
     laundry/valet, parking fees, and the like are reimbursable.
     Institution policies and procedures will define reimbursable
     miscellaneous expenses and specify receipt requirements.
     Institution funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic
     beverages or additional flight insurance.
     Institutions should encourage the use of their credit card
     programs for the payment of in-trip expenses such as hotels and
     car rentals.  Institutions have the authority to determine if
     special circumstances may warrant the issuance of travel
     advances, if such funds are available.
     State (i.e. institution- and System-owned) vehicles may be
     driven only by University System officers and authorized
     institution and System personnel and only when acting within the
     scope of their public duties.  Students for whom the State
     Treasurer has issued an insurance certificate are considered
     authorized personnel for this purpose.  A volunteer may be
     considered authorized personnel only when he or she is engaged
     in providing a service to the institution, is not paid by the
     institution, and is providing the service as part of a formal
     volunteer program.
     Any person driving a State-owned vehicle must have a valid
     driver's license, comply with all traffic laws, and obtain
     approval as required by University of Maryland System, or
     institution policies and procedures.
     Properly insured personal vehicles may be used for travel on
     institution business.  The use of a personal vehicle will be
     reimbursed at the rate established in Attachment VIII-11.10 to
     this policy when travel is in compliance with institution
     Where a car rental is deemed necessary, the institution expects
     the lease of the least expensive car which will accommodate the
     trip's requirements.  Travelers should take advantage of
     University System, Federal and State Government, and institution
     vendor discount rates which are available.
     Travelers should consult institution policies or procedures
     governing reimbursement of Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) car
     rental insurance coverage.
     When spouses travel with institution employees but are not
     themselves serving as agents of the institution, travelers
     should be careful to maintain a record of individual expenses.
     The institution will not reimburse any expenses incurred on
     behalf of the spouse.  Likewise, airfare or any other travel
     expense that is directly billed to the institution should not
     include expenses for the spouse.
     Institutions may establish appropriate criteria and
     authorization, and reimbursement procedures for invitational
     travel, extended field and research trips, sponsored travel, and
     authorized non-employee travel consistent with general
     University System and institution policies.
     The approved rates for hotels, meal expenses, mileage rate for
     the use of personal vehicles, the designation of high-cost
     locations for travel, and other rates will be specified in
     Attachment VIII-11.10 to this policy.  The Chancellor will
     review the information in Attachment VIII-11.10 as a minimum
     during the first quarter of the fiscal year and provide the
     institutions with a current schedule of reimbursement rates.
     At the same time, a schedule of current rates with changes
     annotated will be provided to the Chairperson of the Committee
     on Finance of the Board of Regents for information.
     Each institution will publish clear and concise information on
     institution policy, requirements, and procedures consistent with
     the System-wide travel policy.  Where there is cooperation
     between institutions in processing travel documents, consistent
     policies will be established.  Each institution should identify
     a Travel Coordinator to work directly with travelers, the
     contract travel services, and other Travel Coordinators at other
     institutions to secure the best possible travel service across
     the University System.  Routine procedures and posture toward
     the consideration of exceptions for special circumstances as
     outlined in this document are the responsibility of the
  Replacement for: BOR VI - 27:00