278.0 VIII-6.00-POLICY ON BUSINESS ACTIVITIES
(Approved by the Board of Regents, March 1, 1989)
1. A primary mission of the University of Maryland System is
the creation and dissemination of knowledge.
2. To carry out this mission, it is often desirable for an
institution within the University of Maryland System to
charge fees for providing goods and services that enhance,
promote, or support its instructional, research, public
service, and all other educational and support functions in
order to meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff, and
members of the public participating in institutional events.
3. An educational business activity shall be established and
carried on by an institution when consistent with the
a. The activity is deemed to be an integral part in the
fulfillment of the institution's educational, research,
public service, and institution support functions, and other
education and support activities, without regard to profit;
b. The activity is needed to provide an integral good or
service at a reasonable price, on reasonable terms, and at a
convenient location and time; and
c. The activity is carried out for the primary benefit of the
institution community but with sensitivity to the total
4. Business activities not falling within the preceding
conditions may be unrelated business income activities; each
institution shall comply with the applicable laws and
regulations pertaining to such activities.
5. Each institution may establish a forum for interaction with
the local business community to air relevant concerns and to
promote mutually beneficial communication between the local
private business sector and the institution.
6. Each institution shall develop procedures governing the sale
of goods and services on its campus which are consistent
with the provisions of this Policy.
7. This Policy shall become effective on adoption by the Board
Replacement for: BOR VI-10.00