Under direct supervision, provides routine assistance in the preparation and serving of food, sanitation, and/or kitchen maintenance.
1. Assists with the preparation of food items by slicing, chopping, grating, cleaning, mixing, etc.
2. Serves food following established food portion control standards.
3. Maintains the operational readiness of facilities and equipment; sets up counters, steam tables, serving lines and serving utensils.
4. Maintains safe and sanitary conditions in cooking, serving and general work areas; cleans facilities and equipment, washes, sanitizes, and stores pots, pans, and kitchen utensils. Removes refuse from specified areas.
5. Assists in stocking and storing food service items. Keeps records pertaining to daily operations, food production, consumption and inventory.
6. Operates a variety of kitchen equipment such as ovens, grills, toasters, fryers, mixers, etc.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Ability to assist in preparing and serving food; to read and write; to perform basic arithmetic computations; to operate food service equipment and appliances; to use kitchen utensils; to work in irritating environments and adverse temperature conditions; to follow oral and written instructions; to lift, transport and stock food service supplies, materials and equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to detemine ability to perform the job. Safe Food Handling and Sanitation Certification may be required.