Under direct supervision, performs manual labor duties in the maintenance of grounds and facilities.
1. Performs grounds maintenance activities including cultivating, planting, watering, fertilizing, weeding, mowing and/or pruning lawn, gardens, shrubs and trees.
2. Assists in the maintenance of outdoor fields and athletic facilities.
3. Plants shrubs, trees, flowers, and vegetation following detailed plans and directions.
4. Removes dirt, trash and debris from assigned areas and transports same to appropriate disposal facility.
5. Performs removal of snow and ice from assigned areas using hand and power snow removal equipment. Spreads salt, sand, and deicers to prevent slipping.
6. Operates hand and power equipment such as mowers, tillers, sweepers, snow blowers, edgers, shovels, and small vehicles. Performs routine assembly, cleaning and maintenance of equipment as needed.
7. Measures, mixes and applies fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, and other chemicals following specific instructions.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Ability to read, write, and perform arithmetic calculations; to follow oral and written instructions; to operate and perform minor maintenance to assigned hand and power tools and equipment; to perform work in, on, around, under and over trees, shrubs, and buildings and facilities; to work at heights up to 35 feet; to perform physical workrequiring bending, stooping, reaching, carrying, and frequent heavy lifting; to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.