Under direct supervision, performs routine duties related to basic life activities in patient care.
1. Performs routine duties such as assisting with personal hygiene, feeding, and ambulating patients according to specific instructions.
2. Assists medical personnel during examinations by performing tasks such as lifting and positioning patients, setting up equipment, and preparing supplies.
3. Takes and records vital signs and other patient information as instructed.
4. Greets and escorts patients.
5. Stocks and prepares examining and patient rooms as instructed.
6. Keeps and files medical records.
7. Transports items such as specimens, charts, and x-rays to appropriate locations as instructed.
8. Performs clerical support duties such as photocopying, filing, answering phones, and assisting with billing as needed.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Six months related experience.
Working knowledge of basic medical terminology; of the requirements for confidentiality of records and communications regarding patients and clients. Skill in taking vital signs and accurately reading and recording patient information. Ability to read and write; to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions; to comply with requirements for confidentiality of records and communications regarding patients; to communicate effectively; to lift and position patients; to perform extensive standing and walking; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.