Under direct supervision, provides routine husbandry for laboratory animals consisting primarily of rodent species.
1. Provides husbandry support as required by standard operating procedures such as ensuring appropriate feeding and watering of animals, cleaning and changing cages, preparing special diets, and maintaining proper temperature, light, and humidity levels.
2. Handles animal carcasses, tissues, and wastes following established policies and procedures.
3. Maintains husbandry records pertaining to animal census, animal breeding, dietary studies, infectious disease studies, etc.
4. Assists in monitoring animal health.
5. Receives, inspects and stocks supplies such as animal feed, bedding etc. Assists in maintaining inventory.
6. Coordinates with general maintenance for repairs and regulates the lighting, ventilation, temperature, and humidity levels of the animal room environment.
7. Maintains animal facility according to standard facility operating procedures.
8. Sterilizes glassware, syringes, instruments and equipment.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
Ability to operate standard laboratory animal equipment including scales, autoclaves, pressure washers, cage washers, steam cleaners etc.; to lift bags of feed and bedding; to follow standard operating procedures; to move heavy stainless steel racks, clean cages, etc.; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.