Under direct supervision, assists building construction and maintenance personnel by performing simple and repetitive tasks using standard procedures, tools, and equipment.
1. Functions as an unskilled helper to maintenance mechanics, trades personnel, and/or stationary engineers in performing maintenance and repair work.
2. Inspects building components and equipment according to prescribed schedules and instructions.
3. Assists in preparing interior and exterior walls, ceilings, floors, and other building surfaces by washing, brushing, sanding, and scraping; assists in appling paint, varnishes, stains, water-proofing agents and other protectives.
4. Performs simple repairs and maintenance such as changing filters and light bulbs, cleaning sewer lines and traps, oiling and lubricating equipment, or cleaning maintenance and construction work areas.
5. Assists in maintaining grounds, roads and walkways. Patches or caulks cracks in walkways, road surfaces, or interior or exterior building surfaces.
6. Performs snow and ice removal from assigned areas using hand and power snow removal equipment. Spreads salt, sand, and de-icers to prevent slipping.
7. Completes simple reports reflecting status of assigned maintenance projects.
8. Operates and maintains tools and equipment. Cleans work area upon completion of project.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: One year related work experience.
Elementary knowledge of building construction or maintenance and repair practices; of related safety practices and procedures. Elementary knowledge of basic tools and equipment used in maintence and repair work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions; to complete simple logs and work order forms; to make simple adjustments,repairs and replacements to building fixtures and mechanical equipment; to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment or machinery; to work at heights up to 35 feet; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, supplies and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; toconcurrently manipulate multiple controls on machinery and equipment; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required. Candidates selected for employment may be required to be trained to work with asbestos.