Under general supervision operates light and medium duty motorized equipment used in the maintenance of fields, roads, and similar areas in all kinds of weather.
1. Operates light and medium duty trucks up to 26,000 pounds and other equipment such as rollers, light front-end loaders, belt forklifts, light sweepers, and skid loaders.
2. Ensures the operational readiness of equipment; performs basic preventative maintenance such as changing oil and filters, applying lubricant, replacing belts, hoses and wipers, cleaning body, cab and windshield, washing and waxing equipment.
3. Records fuel and oil consumption, mileage, hourly operation and maintenance activities.
4. Troubleshoots and repairs minor malfunctions. Assists mechanic as needed.
5. Performs manual maintenance and construction activities such as installing roadway signs, flagging traffic, and repairing surfaces.
6. Conducts daily and routine safety checks of equipment prior to and during use. Assures safe operation.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: One year in the operation of light or medium duty motorized equipment.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with appropriate class and endorsement codes. If required to obtain a Commercial Driver's License, employees will be subjected to drug and alcohol education and testing as required under Federal Highway Administration and the State of Maryland regulations.
General knowledge of and skill in the care and operation of motorized equipment. Skill in the use of hand and power tools. Ability to read and write; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to operate assigned equipment; to perform extensive walking, climbing and lifting; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class must maintain the required driver's license with no more than 5 points. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.