Under direct supervision, performs moderately complex clerical work requiring the application of varied procedures or specialized methods. May provide guidance or instruction to office assistants.
1. Reviews and verifies documents for completeness, accuracy, timeliness and compliance with procedures.
2. Responds to routine inquiries requiring knowledge of relevant department policies and procedures.
3. Assembles, compiles and edits data and records. Prepares worksheets, tables, correspondence and simple reports.
4. Codes, sorts and files documents and materials. Maintains manual and/or automated record keeping systems. Enters and retrieves data.
5. Receives, sorts and distributes incoming materials. Participates in preparing bulk mailings.
6. Operates office equipment such as personal computers, typewriters, calculators, facsimile machines, and photocopiers.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: One year in clerical work.
Working knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment; of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Skill in filing documents according to alphabetic and numeric sequences; in operating manual and automated office equipment; in performing routine clerical tasks.Ability to independently perform specialized clerical tasks; to understand and apply departmental policies and procedures; to communicate effectively; to follow oral and written instructions; to maintain effective work relationships; to perform arithmeticcomputations.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: