Under direct supervision, serves as custodian of a swimming pool, regulating chemicals and waterflow and conducting pertinent tests to ensure safe and sanitary conditions.
1. Monitors waterflow and chemical levels, adds prescribed amount of purification chemicals to water, conducts water chlorination tests, and cleans pool and surrounding areas.
2. Performs routine maintenance activities including removing leaves and debris from the water surface, cleaning bottom and sides of pool with vacuum cleaners, hoses and brushes; inspects tile, heating, pumping and filtering systems.
3. Responds to routine inquiries from staff and students by providing information about pool conditions which requires communication or interpretation of departmental policies and procedures.
4. Updates logs and prepares reports reflecting pool maintenance and operations.
5. Operates standard equipment including automatic backwashing equipment and chemical feeders.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: One year related work experience.
General knowledge of chemicals used in the swimming pools; of the operation of swimming pools and filtration systems maintenance. Skill in the operation and maintenance of swimming pools and related equipment. Ability to swim; to communicate effectively and follow directions; to lift and carry pool equipment and supplies; to perform routine maintenance on pools and related systems; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Certification of successful completion of CPR training may be required.