Under general supervision, operates motor vehicles to transport the Chancellor of the University of Maryland System and members of the Board of Regents (BOR). Serves as courier of highly confidential information between the Chancellor and the Board.
1. Makes scheduled and special trips for the purpose of driving the Chancellor and members of the BOR to required destinations.
2. Secures safety of the Chancellor and members of the BOR during those times when they are provided transportation service by the driver and are within the vehicle.
3. Provides courier service of highly confidential information and materials between the Chancellor and the Board members.
4. Plans the best route to take.
5. Responsible for maintaining records such as dates and destination of trips, maps, routes taken, maintenance services performed on the vehicle.
6. Ensures operational readiness of equipment. Performs basic preventive maintenance such as changing oil and filters, applying lubricant, replacing belts, hoses, and wipers, and cleaning vehicle interior, and washing and waxing the vehicle.
7. Keeps assigned vehicle in excellent condition at all times by having preventive maintenance performed on the vehicle. Ensures maintenance appointments are scheduled.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Two years in the operation of automotive transportation equipment in the transportation of passengers.
General knowledge of the care and operation of automobiles; of traffic laws and regulations. Skill in safe driving in all kinds of weather, road conditions and heavily congested areas. Ability to read and write; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to assist passengers and lift heavy objects; to judge distances accurately over long stretches of highway; to read and interpret road maps; to meet traffic and mechanical emergencies satisfactorily.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The employee will ensure that he/she comports himself/herself in a professional manner and is attired in a manner that is appropriate. Weekend, on-call and overtime work may be required. Employees in this job class must maintain the required driver's license with no more than 5 points. Applicants may be required to submit a certified copy of their driving record before appointment. Applicants must submit to and successfully pass a thorough background investigation. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine the ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.