Under direct supervision, learns the principles, theory, and applications of electroencephalography (EEG).
1. Learns the elements of EEG technology and equipment such as the techniques for running and maintenance of the EEG machine, the fabrication, placement, and application of EEG electrodes; and the measurement of electrode resistance.
2. Learns to recognize and identify various types of artefacts and the measures necessary to eliminate them from EEG recordings.
3. Learns the indications for the choice of time constants and filters.
4. Learns to recognize instrument malfunctions and measures to eliminate them.
5. Learns basic electronics, brain anatomy, physiology, pathology, and clinical neurology as they apply to EEG.
6. Learns evoked potential testing.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED and course work in biological and chemical science
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to make arithmetic calculations rapidly and accurately. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, faculty, staff, and students. Ability to walk and stand at least 50% of the time, to push and maneuver large and bulky portable testing equipment, and to lift and position patients. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine ability to perform the job.