Under general supervision, prepares incoming mail for distribution and processes outgoing mail. This includes distribution and collection of mail, determining and affixing postage, and maintaining records on postage, registered mail and packages.
1. Sorts incoming mail for distribution and dispatches outgoing mail; processes registered, certified, and insured items, bulk mailings, and United Parcel Service packages; stamps date and time of receipt on incoming mail.
2. Collects and delivers mail to specified locations on campus for processing. Secures required signatures for accountable mail items such as registered mail and stamp orders.
3. Sorts mail according to destination and type, such as returned letters, adjustments, bills, orders, and payments. Researches and addresses undeliverable mail.
4. Examines outgoing mail for appearance and seals envelopes. May fold letters or circulars and insert into envelopes.
5. Weighs mail to determine correct postage. Processes outgoing mail including registered, certified, insured items, bulk mailings and United Parcel Service packages.
6. Makes entries to records regarding postage, parcels, billing and mail requiring special handling such as certified, insured and express mail.
7. Operates standard equipment including scales, metering devices, bundle machines, photocopiers, facsimile and bar code machines.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: One year of related work experience.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license.
Ability to sort and process mail; to lift and carry mail bags and boxes up to 70 lbs.; to communicate effectively; to understand and follow directions; operate standard office equipment and postal services machines; to perform extensive standing and walking.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Mail carriers may be required to be bonded to handle certain routes dealing with large sums of money.