Under direct supervision, performs high volume typing and routine clerical work.
1. Prepares manuscripts, correspondence, charts, forms, and other documents from copy created by others using typewriter and/or automated office equipment. Proofreads materials.
2. Receives and directs incoming telephone calls and visitors. Responds to general inquiries regarding office operations.
3. Receives, sorts and distributes incoming mail. Prepares outgoing mail for postal pick-up. Delivers, posts, and retrieves documents and materials on campus.
4. Assists in maintaining records and filing systems. Enters and retrieves data from files and databases. Assembles, compiles, and edits data according to specific instructions. Prepares simple reports.
5. Operates office equipment such as personal and networked computers and printers, typewriters, facsimile machines, copy equipment, voice messaging and electronic mail systems, and telephone equipment.
6. May assists Secretaries and Administrative Assistants in providing administrative secretarial and clerical support to others.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: One year in clerical work.
OTHER: Applicants may be required to complete the institution's required skills assessment to be considered. Some positions require specific skills such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, email or calendaring software, and Internet proficiency.
Working knowledge of office practices, procedures, and equipment; of business english, spelling, grammar, and arithmetic. Skill in operating manual and automated office equipment. Ability to produce documents using automated equipment and office software; to perform arithmetic calculations; to file documents according to alphabetic and numeric sequence; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to interact with the public, employees and students in a courteous and efficient manner.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: