Under general supervision of a county Extension agent, meets with individuals or small groups to teach them food related subjects such as: how to make better nutrition choices, manage a food budget, prepare food safely, and prenatal and infant nutrition.
1. Recruits and enrolls in the EFNEP program (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program), a client base of limited income adults, with emphasis on those with young children.
2. Conducts an initial assessment to identify food and nutrition related needs of families and individuals.
3. Plans and teaches seven to twelve nutrition related lessons through individual or group sessions.
4. Evaluates nutritional improvement of enrolled adults; monitors their progress toward program completion.
5. Identifies potential youth participants from enrolled families and neighborhoods to participate in special nutrition programs.
6. Identifies and recruits adults as potential program volunteers.
7. Refers clients to other health, food assistance, and social service programs.
8. Prepares written reports and maintains client records.
9. Attends regularly scheduled training programs.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license
Ability to learn and understand basic nutrition information. Ability to effectively communicate orally with clients. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to interact with the public in a courteous and efficient manner. Ability to lift and transport supplies and equipment. Ability to maintain accurate client and other records. Skill in performing arithmetic calculations.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employees in this job class are required to use their personal automobile while conducting official business.