Under direct supervision, prepares, collects, logs and labels laboratory specimens; sets up tests, and assists in laboratory activities and maintenance.
1. Assists in preparing mixtures such as simple solutions, media, reagents, and stains by pouring, measuring and mixing liquid, powder, and crystalline chemicals following established formulas and procedures.
2. Logs specimens; labels tubes, bottles, and other containers and fills with specified solutions or materials as instructed.
3. Raises, tends, or harvests non-mammalian specimens as instructed.
4. Sets up specimens, materials, and equipment.
5. Operates and performs general housekeeping on laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysis instrumentation.
6. Cleans and sterilizes glassware; stocks shelves and drawers; separates and prepares laboratory materials for recycling.
7. Maintains chemicals and equipment inventory.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Six months laboratory work experience.
Working knowledge of laboratory operations, safety, and basic laboratory equipment. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to measure and mix laboratory chemicals; to operate laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, meters, microscopes, incubators, autoclaves, chromatographs, and chemical analysisinstrumentation; to lift, transport and deliver materials and stock laboratory supplies and goods; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform job.