Under direct supervision, performs routine work in the operation of single color offset presses and related equipment for the production of printed materials.
1. Operates standard printing equipment such as single color offset press and finishing equipment. Prepares materials for printing such as plates, negatives, paper and ink.
2. Performs routine maintenance on printing machines according to prescribed procedures. Cleans, adjusts and makes minor repairs to equipment.
3. Examines job order to determine quantity to be printed, stock specifications, colors and special printing instructions.
4. Prepares and maintains production records and inventory of press supplies.
5. Responds to routine inquiries regarding printing processes, job layout and project schedules.
6. Performs material handling activities such as moving supplies and cases of paper, loading and unloading printing equipment and stocking shelves.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Six months in the operation of an offset press.
Basic knowledge of paper weights and reactions to various duplicating processes and inks; of the preparation of negatives and plates; of the operation of offset presses and related equipment. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others; to communicate both orally and in writing; to follow oral and written instructions; to operate, make adjustments and perform routine maintenance of offset printing equipment; to lift, transport and stock printing supplies, paper, and related equipment; to perceive normal color spectrum; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.