Under general supervision, prepares a variety of baked goods according to specifications or standard recipes and ensures that quantity and quality standards for baked goods are maintained.
1. Performs baking activities including mixing ingredients to form dough, batter fillings and frosting according to specifications or recipes.
2. Bakes breads, pastries, sweet rolls, pies, cakes, tarts, cookies and related baked goods; rolls, cuts and shapes dough, applies glaze, frosting or other toppings.
3. Measures, weighs and combines ingredients for preparation of baked goods according to established recipes; adjusts recipe quantities, ensuring preparation of desired amounts of baked goods.
4. Prepares estimates of time, labor and materials to be used on assigned tasks, and secures required quantities of materials and supplies needed.
5. Ensures the operational readiness and safety of equipment and supplies; protects equipment, utensils and food ingredients from contamination, spoilage and pilferage.
6. Ensures the maintenance of sanitary conditions in the work areas; cleans work areas, equipment and utensils.
7. Keeps records pertaining to food consumption, inventory of supplies and customer service.
8. Operates kitchen equipment such as baking ovens, mixers, blenders, dough cutters and utensils.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Three years performing commercial or institutional baking.
Thorough knowledge of and skill in the methods of preparing bakery products and desserts. Thorough knowledge of and skill in measuring, weighing and mixing ingredients. General knowledge of principles and practices of sanitation and safety in baking areas. Skill infinishing bakery products with icing and decorations; in adjusting and making substitution in recipes. Ability to read and write; to follow recipes and production schedules; to determine completion of baked items; to perform basic arithmetic computations; to operate baking equipment and appliances; to work in irritating environments and adverse temperature conditions; to lift, transport, and stock bakingsupplies and materials.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Safe Food Handling and Sanitation Certification may be required.