Under general supervision, operates medium and heavy duty commercial passenger vehicles, transporting passengers to various locations and ensuring the safety of all passengers. Ensures the operational readiness of equipment and performs basic maintenance service activities.
1. Operates specialized medium and heavy duty commercial bus with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds.
2. Ensures passenger safety at all times and resolves passenger issues.
3. Serves as a representative of the institution by providing quality customer service to the students and by being respectful of the surrounding community.
4. Adheres to assigned bus schedules, follows code of conduct policies and procedures and handles emergency situations while transporting students.
5. Follows all safety regulations in accordance with the Department of Motor Vehicles' driving regulations and institution specific guidelines.
6. Documents and reports passenger information, fuel and oil consumption, mileage, hourly operation and maintenance activities.
7. Conducts daily and routine safety checks of equipment prior to and during use and assures safe operation.
8. Troubleshoots and repairs minor malfunctions.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: One year as a driver.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Commercial Class B Driver, with a passenger endorsement.
General knowledge of the care and operation of motorized equipment. Skill in driving buses in all kinds of weather and road conditions. Ability to read and write; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; and to assist passengers. Ability to problem solve and respond appropriately to a variety of complicated passenger and driving issues.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class must maintain the required driver's license with no more than 5 points and will be subject to drug and alcohol education and testing as required under Federal Highway Administration and the State of Maryland regulations. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties requiring special training and/or certification (e.g. ADA-regulated wheelchair lifts) in order to operate specialized equipment.