Under general supervision, operates specialized heavy duty motorized equipment used in the maintenance of fields, roads and construction.
1. Operates heavy duty motorized equipment such as tractor trailers, grandalls, graders, bulldozers, and heavy rollers in all kinds of weather. Ensures operational readiness and safety of equipment and/or trucks.
2. Performs basic preventative maintenance such as changing oil and filters, applying lubricant, replacing belts, hoses and wipers, and cleaning body, cab, and windshield, washing and waxing equipment.
3. Records fuel and oil consumption, mileage, hourly operation and maintenance activities.
4. Troubleshoots and repairs minor malfunctions. Assists mechanic as needed.
5. Performs manual maintenance and construction activities such as recycling activities and duties, installing roadway signs, flagging traffic, and repairing surfaces.
6. Conducts daily and routine safety checks of equipment prior to and during use.
7. Operates other motorized equipment such as heavy duty trucks, trash trucks, snow plows, front end loaders, backhoes, sweepers, and tractors.
8. May supervise or provide guidance and instruction to others.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Three years in the operation of heavy duty motorizedequipment over 26,000 pounds such as bulldozers, heavy dump trucks,gradalls or tractor trailers.
OTHER: Valid Maryland Commercial Class B Driver's License (CDL) with appropritate endorsement codes.
General knowledge of the care and operation of motorized equipment. Skill in operating assigned motorized mechanical equipment; the use of hand and power tools. Ability to read and write; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to perform extensive walking, climbing and lifting; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class must maintain the required driver's license with no more than 5 points and will be subjected to drug and alcohol education and testing as required under Federal Highway Administration and the State of Maryland regulations. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require special training and/or certification (e.g. forklift operator certification) in order to operate specialized motorized equipment.