Under direct supervision, performs non-complex, repetitive technical tasks in support of laboratory and field work in the physical sciences.
1. Collects air, water, soil, grass, gas, and dust samples and other media for testing. Prepares solvents and culture media for use.
2. Cleans, sterilizes and reassembles and makes lab apparatus ready for use.
3. Assists in maintenance, troubleshooting and repairing laboratory equipment and apparatus.
4. Conducts inventory of lab supplies and equipment. Makes recommendations to supervisor regarding quantity of supplies to be ordered.
5. Operates non-complex laboratory equipment such as vohmeters and hand tools.
6. Reports any equipment malfunctions to the supervisor.
7. Transfers any equipment between various locations.
8. Constructs various supports for equipment and apparatus to be used with experiments.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Two years in technical work in physical science or allied field.
Working knowledge of general purpose laboratory equipment according to standard safety practices; of applied arithmetic. Skill in the use of related hand and power tools. Ability work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 50 lbs.; to concurrentlymanipulate multiple controls on equipment and machinery; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to follow oral and written instructions and to communicate effectively.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland Non-commerical Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required.