Under general supervision, performs moderately complex work in the operation of both single and multi-color offset presses and related equipment for the production of printed materials.
1. Operates both single and multi-color offset presses and finishing equipment. Ensures acceptable production quality, accurate registration, half tone reproduction, screens and reversals.
2. Prepares moderately complex material and equipment for printing and finishing operations such as perforators, binders, folders, paper and ink. Prepares plates and negatives for printing.
3. Performs maintenance on printing machines. Cleans, adjusts and makes minor repairs to equipment.
4. Examines job order to determine quantity to be printed, stock specifications, colors and special printing instructions.
5. Prepares and maintains production records and inventory of press supplies.
6. Responds to inquiries regarding printing processes, job layout and product schedules.
7. Performs material handling activities such as moving supplies and cases of paper, loading and unloading printing equipment and stocking shelves.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Two years in the operation of an offset press.
Working knowledge of the operation of single and multi-color offset printing presses and related equipment; of paper weights and reactions to various duplicating processes and inks. Skill in setting up, operating and maintaining offset presses and related equipment; in preparing plates and negatives. Ability to maintain effective workingrelationships with others; to communicate both orally and in writing; to follow oral and written instructions; to lift, transport and stock printing supplies, paper and related equipment; to perceive normal color spectrum; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.