Under general supervision, performs moderately complex biological or agricultural tests, examinations and processes. Performs manual activities in the care and observation of animals and crops and maintains experiment records.
1. Performs laboratory and field activities in accordance with experimental protocols; posts dates and times of experimental steps, records temperatures and instrument readings; prepares data summaries including results, charts and graphs.
2. Prepares reports and analyses and maintains automated and/or manual recordkeeping systems pertaining to experimentation, research and animal care.
3. Provides research support by performing duties related to crop production, providing routine care and treatment for animals and crops, monitoring the activity and performance of crops and animals and documenting research findings and results.
4. Acts as liaison with the general public; prepares and presents agricultural demonstrations; responds to inquiries and requests which do not require specialized scientific knowledge or expertise.
5. Performs greenhouse activities such as watering specified areas and crops, regulating temperature, humidity and lighting and applying fertilizers.
6. Operates farm machinery including tractors, plows, mowers, combines, balers, and hand tools.
7. Operates laboratory equipment such as spectrometers, nitrogen determination apparatus, air samplers, centrifuges, and PH meters.
8. Performs routine maintenance/repairs to agricultural facilities, equipment and tools to ensure operational readiness, safety and cleanliness.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
EXPERIENCE: Three years in agricultural work, one year of which was in agricultural research.
Thorough knowledge of and skill in the use of farm equipment. General knowledge of and ability to use related laboratory equipment. General knowledge of basic mathematics and ability to perform mathematical and algebraic calculations. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to lift and transport agriculturalsupplies, tools, and equipment, to climb and to perform extensive standing and walking. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: