Under direct supervision, performs routine duties in the operation of computers and peripheral equipment to process data.
1. Monitors/controls console of multi-user computer system. Observes equipment to detect error messages, faulty output or machine stoppage. Takes action to correct error or stoppage and continue operations. Notifies supervisor of problems.
2. Loads and unloads media and performs routine media maintenance for computer operations.
3. Loads and unloads forms and printers. Adjusts forms for proper alignment. Post-processes forms and dispatches output to appropriate destination. Assists in monitoring output to ensure legibility of printouts and correctness of report format.
4. Submits and/or releases production jobs following run instructions.
5. Performs necessary system backups and restores.
6. Posts and updates logs. Communicates activities, turnovers, downtime, problems and actions taken.
7. Ensures the operational readiness of computers and peripheral equipment. Keeps equipment clean and regularly performs routine maintenance functions.
8. Monitors physical environment for appropriate conditions (e.g. temperature, electrical, security).
9. Assists in monitoring an inventory of supplies and notifies supervisor when reorders are necessary.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: One year in the operation of multi-user computers and peripheral equipment.
Working knowledge of and skill in operating computer consoles, on-line terminals and peripheral equipment. Ability to lift and transport computer supplies and equipment; to recognize computer system error messages and take corrective action; to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to work under pressure.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.